Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Work, work, work!!!

Well, (Now I know you are going to tell me that's a really deep subject, and it is, but not here, cause I'm not talking about a well.) things have been crazy lately.  Not like pull-your-hair-out-and-run-around-like-a-chicken-with-your-head-cut-off kind of crazy, but not far from it. 

First, let me say that in order for me to feel like any kind of approachable human, I must have at least eight hours of sleep, ten to be a nice human, and any more than that to be a wonderful human.  And then, of course, there's at least sometimes two cups of coffee in the morning.  I probably wouldn't have to think about coffee if I got a consistent amount of sleep on a consistent basis.  And eventually that will happen...right?

Next, I need to tell you that painting 16 square feet less than 800, mostly by yourself is a lot of work.  I mean, a LOT of work.  You might think that painting four rooms, a hallway (of sorts), a bathroom, and a couple of closets is no big deal.  It should be done in a week, you think.  I'm here to tell you, much to your dismay, as it was/is mine, that pretty much a month later, there is still a serious amount of painting to do.  I called it at the kitchen door leading to the back of the house, so anything past that threshold is either not important enough for me to care right now or not important enough for me to care at all.  And despite having three rooms, the hallway (of sorts), the bathroom, and two closets, the kitchen cabinets still need to be painted.  That wouldn't necessarily be a big deal, except that all the exterior surfaces to which the term "cabinets" applies, need at least two, if not three coats of paint.  We purchased 21.5 gallons of paint, and I have used almost all of it.  I kid you not.  The only color that hasn't required 3+ coats is the blue I chose, and that is shocking. 

Needless to say, I am plum worn out!  And that's not all, folks.  There is some serious cleaning that needs to occur.  (I managed to get paint everywhere.  Please don't lecture me about the significance of dropcloths.  I might have to drop kick you, whatever that means.)  Beyond the cleaning that has already occurred, even more needs to be done.  The bathroom needs a brutal cleaning, and the windows need some super sparkle, my front porch needs to become home to some freshly-painted rocking chairs - come springtime - and some humans rather than the spiders and moths that are inhabiting it now.  The shutters will be painted a navy color, and the front door a fresh coat of paint as well.  (I painted it this beautiful pink, and it was great until a few days after coming home from a Christmas break to find it destroyed by the elements.  Yes, I used exterior paint.  It's so bad, that the vendor is coming out to look at it.  Maybe he'll give me free paint so I can do the doors and shutters.  I'll cross my fingers.)

Things get kind of crazy where sleep gets involved, because I have been working till almost midnight almost every night except a few here and there, and I am honestly out of energy.  But because there is so much that needs to be done still in order to make moving in as smooth as possible (and the fact that spring semester at school started today), I must forge ahead.  Maybe one day, I'll get to sleep more than 8 hours.  Maybe.

Soon, I will be able to wear normal clothes in my house, and not grungy work clothes covered in paint.  Ooooh goody!

No comments:

Post a Comment